Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hayley already told you about our hurricane like rain storm. So where should I pick up? It’s Thursday already and we’ve been very busy. We haven’t even had time to write at all. We have met so many people. It’s been great though hard to remember and pronounce everyone’s name. Mentioning pronunciation, all the kids keep laughing at us for the way we talk. The Cameroonians we meet keep telling us we’re in the English province of the country or as they say it the “Anglophone” side, but I couldn’t swear to it. Everybody sounds French to me. It’s Madame and Bonjour and many signs are in French. French is definitely the dominate language here but they seem eager to learn English. Hayley is a big hit. Even the teachers want her to instruct them in computers. I’m finally being put to use in the classroom. The teacher whom the principle assigned me to was kind of putting me off. She never wanted me to come to her classroom. She just told me I’d start teaching possessive pronouns next Monday. Finally yesterday I asked to be assigned to the other English teacher and then Mirabel said I could observe her class and that she would work with me. So now I’ll be working with both teachers. I’m looking forward to meeting with the Nursery school teachers tomorrow. Hayley and I are finally going to be giving the kids the toys and art supplies and few books we bought over. Now I wish we had had room to bring even more. The kids have no toys. We have given so many away already. We’re also going to give writing supplies to all the teachers. The school is unlike anything we have ever seen. They need everything. They are doing the best they can, but with almost nothing. And I mean NOTHING! The building is dilapidated and unsafe. There are no decorations of any kind. No fresh paint, no posters, not enough books etc. And still everyone smiles.

Yesterday, Polycarp took us to a fishing village. It was like stepping back in time. Again, the people were nice. We saw how they smoke the fish, the canoe-like long boats they use, and the stable-like houses they live in. They are migrant fisherman. We also visit Polycarp’s clinic everyday. We met two woman who work here as volunteers for a social justice organization. They are both really nice and are roommates. Gene is from Alabama and Yanna is from Germany. We are going to go to the beach with them on a weekend and they said they’ll take us to a place we’re we can get a cappuccino. I can’t wait. I’ve been in Africa for 4 days (a huge coffee exporter) and haven’t found a place that sells coffee yet.

-Kathy

2 comments:

Joan said...

Hello! from Joan Sounds exciting. What an adventure."Great Abenture where you're part of the fun" That's some crazy mad rain you had. Well enjoy-Keep writing I'll kepp checking in.
Joan Erin

Anonymous said...

Okay, I take that back. The blog is working you just must be up to your ears in alligators & can't get time to write. Take care of yourself out there. I told my friend Jessica about what you are doing and she thinks it is cool. She volunteered in Guatemala last summer. Laura D.